Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Wednesday 31 December 2008

A fiendish end of 2008 quiz?

A glass of what exactly? Dry Oloroso, a Madeira, a white Loire, a pale tawny Port?


6 comments:

Sam Goth said...

Hi Jim,
I think it's a Tawny-the legs lead me to think so, though it could be an Oloroso- but the lack of color intensity steers me away from that guess. I really hope it's not a current vintage Loire white!
Cheers,
Sam

Jim's Loire said...

Thanks Sam. A very reasonable guess but it is not a tawny. Jim

Anonymous said...

It has to be something really unusual otherwise you wouldn't post it, and surely it is from the Loire. I will guess either (1) an ancient Loire red with decades of age or (2) some really unusual recent release. I have had some very deeply coloured Layons from the likes of Ogereau although none quite that deep in colour, but it's not impossible. When I last visited PJ Druet he likened the 2005 vintage for reds to 1947 and 1921, but although he and surely some other lucky souls have the experience of such ancient vintages I haven't, but they must surely look something like this. In fact the last wine I drank that looked like that was 1912 Taylor's. Happy New Year!

Jim's Loire said...

Chris. You are right. It is from the Loire an Anjou Blanc from one of my favourite Loire characters. Who might this be? certainly from a no sulphur period............ The vintage?

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Don't have a clue on vintage, not much more of an idea on vigneron either. Jo Pithon? Although I think he reduced sulphur use rather than eliminating it. Nicolas Joly? Certainly a 'character' and is pretty extreme in his approach to viticulture and winemaking, although again I think of the estate as minimal in use of sulphur - if he had a 'no sulphur' period I missed it. I give up!

Jim's Loire said...

All will shortly be revealed. It is a 1998 Anjou Blanc. The producer now uses a small amount of sulphur at the time of bottling.