Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Sunday 13 March 2011

Charles MacLean: Malt Whisky – the complete guide

 26 YO Macallan

Charles MacLean: Malt Whisky – the complete guide, Mitchell Beazley, £15.99 ($19.99), 240 pages, hbk, b/w + col pics

This is the latest edition (4th) of Charles’ guide to malt whisky that was first published in 1997. The majority of the photos are by Jason Lowe. Unusually many of them are black and white. 

Charles' book divides into five sections: history from pre 1450 to present time, how whisky is made, whisky tasting, the whisky regions and finally a directory of all the malt distilleries and their malts.

3 comments:

Luc Charlier said...

No need for a guide. There are only a few options: Macallan and Glenfarclas ”on the continent” (I mean mainland); Springbank out there, Talisker and Highland Park. And then, the real stuff: Ardbeg with Laphroaig and Lagavullin runners up, Caol Ila on sunday (after attending the ceremony in the Kirk). If I have to, an old Ben Nevis will do as well. Full stop, back slash.
As far as “a wee dram” is concerned, I’m an easy customer: direct to the best and nothing else.

Jim's Loire said...

Luc. You may be in danger of being harangued for 'restraint of trade'. Don't you know that there is a long tradition of producing books on whisky and, specifically malts.

For me Cragganmore is decent dram, too, as is Glengoyne although admittedly it does come from the margins.

Luc Charlier said...

I was being provocative, once again. Have a few booklets on the subject myself and actually did write some columns on malts for In Vino Veritas, long time ago.
And yet another anecdote – you know I love “hunting stories”: when my son was just turning one (1985), I made a trip to Shetland, my (now) ex-wife on my side and Johan on my back. We were accomodated at a very nice hotel – I wasn’t a poor winemaker at that time – whose manager was an Aberdonian with a very comprehensive list of whiskies ... and the licence that goes with it. My first encounter with Cragganmore (an independent bottling) dates from then. Shortly thereafter, I also had my first close encounter with large seals, gannets, puffins and temperatures below 5° Celsius at noon around Mid-August! Grrrreat memory, though!
And a shortlist of other Glenlivets I fancy as well: Duffftown, The Glenlivet itself, Glenturret ...