Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Saturday 27 June 2015

Off to Lisbon tomorrow after a ride along The Thames Path to Plumstead

 Detail of Belem's monastery 

 Cathedral@Estrella with tramlines

Off to Lisbon tomorrow, so a small selection of photos to whet my appetite – not really necessary!


 The Vasco da Gama Bridge across the Tagus@Oriente 
(above and below)




Late night coffee kiosk in Principe Real

••

Today I rode along the Thames path from Rotherhithe Overground Station to Plumstead and then back through Charlton, Blackheath and Lewisham. 

It is fascinating to see how the south bank of the Thames has changed over the past 45 years – of course there have been big changes on the northside too but I was riding the southside. Back in 1970 I did a short spell of supply teaching St Michael's in Bermondsey some time before the gentification transformation started. Then I have memories of the largely abandoned warehouses along the Thames close to the river and the empty space, as far as I can remember, that was Surrey Dock.    

I fancy the least changed part of the Thames Path that I rode today is the section between Greenwich and the Thames Barrier. Much of this has to be ridden with care as it is often quite narrow and bikes have to share the space with walkers, runners and dogs.

Next time I think I'll aim to ride from Rotherhithe (easy to take the bike there on the Overground from Forest Hill) to Erith following the Thames Path after the Woolwich Ferry

My abject apologies to the two female cyclists who asked me in Woolwich about a foot tunnel and I directed them to the Greenwich tunnel. Hopefully someone else gave them the correct information before they pressed on towards Greenwich!      

No comments: